Saturday, December 02, 2006

Anniversary Reward

I have officially lived in Assoul for a year now. In celebration, I am on my way up to Rabat because it is time for our "Mid-Service Medicals." I.e. I get to defecate in a cup. (Luckily, none of my occasional intestinal distress has been severe enough to merit this before now).

Favorite mystery meat of the week: sheep face. (Because it was only a piece of face, I wasn't sure exactly what I was looking at -- only that I didn't think I wanted to eat it -- until my hostess popped an eyeball out). I politely declined.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

harharhar - "until my hostess popped an eyeball out" - awesome!!

when i was in kenya and had intestinal parasites (i forget whether it was the dysentery or the giardia) i had to shit on what looked like a popsicle stick at nairobi hospital. which was like aiming a firehose at a penny, if you get my drift.

Jen said...

Well, no critters in my shit! (Although I have never bled so much during a TB test, but that's another story...!). It took a while to figure out the logistics (I had a popsicle stick too) -- does one take aim for the tiny plastic cup, use the stick to scoop it from the bowl afterwards, or, as one friend suggested, just go on a piece of paper and dump what you don't need in the toilet afterwards...? (This was one of those times a turkish toilet actually would have been preferable!)