Sunday, September 24, 2006

Again?!

So, today is the first day of Ramadan here in Morocco, and I have to confess that I have elected not to fast this year. Last year I fasted, and even though I did get a lot out of it (indeed, there was a lot more of me at the end, thanks to many many rich, sugary meals to break the fast each evening), I am opting for staying healthy this year (I've also gotten into a fairly satisfying exercise routine that I don't care to disrupt by starving myself)... My dilemma is that I hate lying, and this is one of those situations where, although people would certainly understand that as a Westerner and a non-Muslim I am not obligated to fast, my conversations on the topic will remain shorter and far less annoying if I simply tell people that I am fasting.

Other news of the week: I discovered that the small ceramic piece to which one ties the carbon cloth "bulb" for my buta (gas) lamp can randomly explode. That was fun.

No comments: