Thursday, February 02, 2006

Back in the big city...

So, as some of you already know, before swearing in last fall, my training class nominated me to serve on the PC Morocco Gender and Development Committee (stay tuned -- funding solicitations coming soon!). Apart from the interesting work, one of the additional "benefits" of said position is that I get to travel to Rabat, Morocco's capital, a few extra times a year for meetings. What a shock to my system, to be back in such a modern, cosmopolitan environment! Suddenly, I felt so much more like myself again! Simply going out dancing or to a restaurant, feeling a little less worried about how to respond appropriately to the unwanted attention I inevitably receive as a female foreigner, and just being able to communicate effectively with most everyone I had to interact with! I think I really must be a city girl at heart...

There is also a little slice of wanna-be America in Morocco's cities called Marjane. Rabat has two of them. I'd heard of it from other volunteers and fellow trainees who'd already had occasion to visit, and rave about all the things you can buy there (especially peanut butter). Basically, this is the same as Walmart, and while it did have an amazing supply of just about everything from food and alcohol to clothes, electronics, and sporting goods (I did, in fact, succeed in my quest to purchase a yoga mat, as mine are currently inconveniently located in North Carolina), I enjoyed Marjane just about as much as I do Walmart. And I didn't see the peanut butter. Truth be told, while I can't get exactly the things I am used to having back home, I can find most of what I need (or a reasonable substitute) in smaller towns closer to where I live. But to be fair, I did avoid the housewares, as I would rather actually get settled in my new home to see what unique items I'll need, rather than go nuts and then have to carry a bunch of stuff back home 10 hours by public transport! Yeah -- and like Walmart, Marjane definitely makes more sense if you have a car! Nevertheless, I am sure to return the next time I am in a city with one, but it sure did feel like a geography warp, and not an especially pleasant one at that!

My other exciting news from Rabat is that, after going over two months and only sitting down on a toilet one time, I actually went over 4 days with nothing but sit-downs! Which actually aren't too fun in the winter, as I was reminded! (Rabat is much warmer than my region, but it's hardly summertime, and the weather was a little unpleasant my first couple of days there).

I am on my way home now, where, in sh'allah, I will pick up the keys to my new house/apartment tomorrow morning! More soon...

No comments: